- This event has passed.
Medication & Mental Health – Postponed until further notice
7th March 2020 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Facilitator: Dr. Padraig Wright
Prices: Qualified Practioner £35.00; Trainee Counsellor £30.00; Westmeria Staff & Students £25.00
Medication and Mental Health:
Whilst, most counsellors and psychotherapists are not medically trained, many of our clients will have been prescribed or possibly be considering whether medication can help them with their current mental health problems.
What do you know about these drugs? How they work? Dosage? Side- affects?
During this very informative & interactive half-day workshop, Dr Padraig Wright gives an expert overview of the most common medications that are used within the field of Mental Health.
He will consider:
- Why and how the medications are used – in particular for anxiety and depression, but also more severe mental health conditions
- The pros and cons of using medication to support mental health
- How medication fits alongside more holistic approaches to working with mental health issues.
- The most recent trends, thinking and research in the field of mental health & neuropsychiatric medication.
About Padraig Wright
Padraig Wright has been a consultant psychiatrist and neuropsychiatrist in private practice in London since 2002. He trained as a doctor in Dublin and as a psychiatrist at the Maudsley Hospital in London. He completed his PhD at the Institute of Psychiatry in London. He has published over 70 scientific papers and book chapters and is author/editor of several books.
Dr. Wright has undertaken research in the pharmaceutical industry in parallel with his clinical and academic practice since 1995. He has been a senior member of the teams that developed the medicines Prozac (fluoxetine), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Cymbalta (duloxetine) and Lamictal (lamotrigine) and Requip (ropinirole). He is currently involved in the development of monoclonal antibodies to treat neuropsychiatric and other disorders.
- Venue Address: Westmeria Counselling, Bromley Park Medical Centre, 6 Daly Drive, Bickley, BR1 2FF
- Please note, we ask attendees to bring their own lunch, however we will provide refreshments throughout the day.
- Free parking spaces on site.
- Nearest stations: Bickely and Chislehurst. Nearest bus stops: R7, 269, 162